geoffrey CLARKE (RA)
Studied at Manchester School of Art and then the Royal College of Art. Worked in stained glass and mosaic and forged iron. He produced for Sir Basil Spence the first freestanding aluminium sculpture casting from an expanded-polystyrene form. This was developed in subsequent works. He still uses this method. Work in public collections throughout the world.
paintings by Geoffrey Clarke
jewellery by Geoffrey Clarke
'Sirens' was first exhibited at Benjamin Britten & Peter Pears' home The Red House in Aldeburgh in 1956 as part of a 'Sculpture in the Open Air' exhibition held during the Aldeburgh Festival.
Restored by strand gallery for the 80th birthday exhibition 'Geoffrey Clarke RA + the Aldeburgh Connection', it was returned to the Red House permanently in November 2005 outside the public entrance to the Britten-Pears Library. 'Sirens' is one of Clarke's last works in iron before he started working in cast aluminium.
Catalogue with essay by Judith LeGrove available.
'Sirens' at the Britten-Pears Foundation